Thursday, January 16, 2014

Saturation

I
The shopper wanted a folded notecard for a friend.

She asked, "Do you know people who went to the School of Theology?"

"Yes," I answered, "a few."

"I want to send Joe a card."

"Oh my!  I know him too!"

We agreed that one of my cards with a photo of the Chapel of Apostles interior might be appropriate.

She then wanted to chat. An employee of the University's dining hall, McClurg, she talked fondly about our friend and his love of breakfast. "On Saturday, we serve breakfast right up till afternoon. If he came in at 12 or 1, he'd just be smiling and talking about how much he loves breakfast!" And then she added, "Some people are happy and make others happy, but Joe is just something special. He just fills me up."

Yes, I thought, he's bigger than life, a super-saturated lover of life.

II
McClurg was opened in 2000, before I moved to Sewanee. I never heard the original gossipy reaction to the thrusting towers, but I have heard reports of complaints about the design.

I love the building. Unlike the hall where I usually ate at Vanderbilt, McClurg offers sweeping interior space divided into congenial and even private spots for eating. Its windows open onto a green vista punctuated by stone buildings. 

It would not be a bad place to spend the day, especially if others like Joe make the employees feel they count as much as the professors.

III
A morning stroll took me to the corner of the building where students park their bikes. Steam, blue sky, Chapel reflections, interior lights, bold shadows -- a saturation of senses began my super-charged day.

No comments: