Saturday, November 15, 2014

On Hygge-ing

Dear T,

Thank you so much for sharing "How 'Hygge' Can Help You Get Through Winter" by Russell McLendon. For the second time this month, I have realized I should be Scandinavian. The first time had to do with the place of religion in society and one's life.


I must be Nordic at heart (I am certainly Nordic in DNA-origin as doctor once told me, based on my complexion and hair and eye color and tendency toward diseases due to those traits).

I want you to know that I just hygged: I lay in the tub with an adult beverage in hand, filled and re-filled the tub twice with hot water; the bathroom lit only by a dim nightlight; both cats in attendance and curious.

I thought of you and our friendship, your pounding on my windows to raise me before a hurricane (and our long tedious journey to Hope, AK, where we found a Munger machine in an old cotton mill), your husband's good beer, your generous birthday gift of an unexpected stay in the Everglades when I visited the family in Miami. I hygged then through friendship.

Now I hygge more often than not by myself, happily ensconced with Netflix or a book, a cat on my lap and one squinched between back and pillow; or hunched over bug or leaf, camera in hand; or captured by a vista, building, or work of art; or writing on the computer.

I think my ancient Viking blood is showing, and for that I am grateful

Love,
R

No comments: