Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Apples

In Fackler, Alabama, Crow Mountain Orchard grows all kinds of wonderful fruit, including apples. A Sunday drive with Boo past the Walls of Jericho and through miles of beautiful forest culminated in a sip of delicious cider, a pleasurable browse of apples (Fuji, Mutsu, Red Delicious, Granny Smith, McIntosh, Golden Delicious, Winesap), and two half pecks -- one of Jonathans and the other of Cumberland Spurs, their own original apple.Not satisfied with just eating the fruit, I decided to make my first-ever apple pie. Well, I tried. Much of it spilled over the cookie sheet onto the bottom of the over or onto the sheet. I let it get too brown, but I shall eat it anyway. The point is that I scouted out the apples; peeled, cored, and sliced them; and attempted the pie.Next time, I'll know better, and there will definitely be a next time.Maybe . . . tomorrow?

No comments: