Thursday, March 26, 2009

Learning a Camera

Although small enough to fit comfortably in a pocket, my camera holds more power than I ever imagined. I am discovering its versatility, especially its macro options, only because I have time and desire. For several days, I have been trying to learn what it can do. It's no easy task, although made easier by the very thing that contributes to its complexity: digital technology. I photograph indiscriminately, upload, view, and start winnowing, providing me with what someone described to me recently (and delightfully) as "structured procrastination." The things I mean to do -- like cleaning closets -- do not get done because I am doing the things that feed something other than necessity.I like that hunger, which I will never satisfy.

(Even with this post, I procrastinated, although not intentionally. I should have published it yesterday, but I forgot. Now I shall publish two today instead.)

No comments: