Sunday, September 6, 2009

A New Take on an Old Poem

My niece forwarded a poem to me today in celebration of something we both love: the birds who visit our feeders. Read the poem and hear the birds call.

Thirteen Ways of Looking: Poems about Birds
by

In honor of the poem "Thirteen Ways of Looking at a Blackbird" by Wallace Stevens

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul,
And sings the tune without the words,
And never stops at all,

And sweetest in the gale is heard;
And sore must be the storm
That could abash the little bird
That kept so many warm.

-- from "Hope is the thing with feathers by Emily Dickinson

II. As Freedom

I know why the caged bird sings, ah me,
When his wing is bruised and his bosom sore, --
When he beats his bars and he would be free;
It is not a carol of joy or glee,
But a prayer that he sends from his heart's deep core,
But a plea, that upward to Heaven he flings --
I know why the caged bird sings!

-- from "Sympathy" by Paul Laurence Dubar

III. As Nature

I will never give up longing.
I will let my hair stay long.
The rain proclaims these trees,
the trees tell of the sun.
Let birds, let birds.
Let leaf be passion.
Let leaf be passion.
Let jaw, let teeth, let tongue be
between us. Let joy.

--from "The Birds" by Linda Gregg

IV. As Exile

The Himalayan legend says
there are beautiful white birds
that live completely in flight.
They are born in the air,

must learn to fly before falling
and die also in their flying.
Maybe you have been born
into such a life

with the bottom dropping out.

-- from "In Flight" by Jennifer K. Sweeney

V. As Muse

Away! Away! for I will fly to thee,
Not charioted by Bacchus and his pards,
But on the viewless wings of Poesy,
Though the dull brain perplexes and retards:
Already with thee! tender is the night,
And haply the Queen-Moon is on her throne,
Cluster'd around by all her starry Fays;
But here there is no light,
Save what from heaven is with the breezes blown
Through verdurous glooms and winding mossy ways.

-- from "Ode to a Nightingale" by John Keats

VI. As Music

Tuwee, calls a bird near the house,
Tuwee, cries another, downhill in the woods.
No wind, early September, beeches and pines,
No wind, early September, beeches and pines,

Sumac aflame, tuwee, tuwee, a question and a faint
But definite response, tuwee, tuwee, as if engaged
In a conversation expected to continue all afternoon,

Where is? -- I'm here? -- an upward inflection in
Query and in response . . .

-- from "Birdcall" by Alicia Suskin Ostriker

VII. As Ecstasy

High there, how he rung upon the rein of a wimpling wing
In his ecstasy! then off, off forth on swing,
As a skate's heel sweeps smooth on a bow-bend: the hurl and gliding
Rebuffed the big wind. My heart in hiding
Stirred for a bird, -- the achieve of; the mastery of the thing!

-- from "The Windhover" by Gerard Manley Hopkins

VIII. As Wisdom

Look! Look! he is climbing the last light
Who knows neither Time nor error, and under
Whose eye, unforgiving, the world, unforgiven, swings
Into shadow.

-- from "Evening Hawk" by Robert Penn Warren

IX. As Patience

Then it picks up one stem leg. This takes time.
And sets it down just beyond the other,
no splash, breath of a ripple, goes on
slowly across the silt, mud, algae-
throttled surface, through sedge grass,
to stand to its knees in water turning
grayer now that afternoon is evening.

Now that afternoon is evening
the gray heron turns blue, bluer than sky,
bluer than the mercury blue-black still pond.

-- from "The Blue" by David Baker

X. As Poet

My mother would be a flaconress,
And I, her gay falcon treading her wrist,
would fly to bring back
from the blue of the sky to her, bleeding, a prize,
where I dream in my little hood with many bells
jangling when I'd turn my head.

-- from "My Mother Would be a Falconress" by Robert Duncan

XI. As Omen

But the Raven, sitting lonely on the placid bust, spoke only
That one word, as if his soul in that one word he did outpour.
Nothing further then he muttered -- not a feather then he fluttered --
Till I scarcely more than muttered "Other friends have flown before --
On the morrow he will leave me, as my hopes have flown before."
Then the bird said "Nevermore."

-- from "The Raven" by Edgar Allan Poe

XII. As Pest

Last night I dreamed of chickens,
there were chickens everywhere,
they were standing on my stomach,
they were nesting in my hair,
they were pecking at my pillow,
they were hopping on my head,
they were ruffling up their feathers
as they raced about my bed.

-- from "Last Night I Dreamed of Chickens" by Jack Prelutsky

XIII. As Dinner

CHICKEN

Alas a doubt in case of more go to say what it is cress. What is it. Mean. Why. Potato. Loaves.

-- Tender Buttons by Gertrude Stein

No comments: