Saturday, September 17, 2011

Then and Now

One of the many pleasures of photographing dragonflies and damselflies since April is familiarity.  I see one now, and I remember one then.  Twice in three days, I have enjoyed knowing what I am seeing because I learned what I saw then.

In the first instance, I recognized the Autumn Meadowhawk because I had been so puzzled by its first emergence.  The tenereals I saw for several days a month or so ago were so unlike anything else I had seen that I posted them on Bugguide.net.  Autumn Meadowhawk, someone responded, and when I studied the adults online and in my book, I couldn't wait to see them in person.  I have not been disappointed.


female tenereal above, adult male below
 
In the second, I photographed a damselfly tenereal without knowing its identity.  When I came home, I studied my book and posted photos to Bugguide, hoping someone would confirm my guess.  This week someone did, and then today when I saw a mature one, I knew who was in my view finder.


 male tenereal above, adult male below

If only all learning were like this -- bringing such joy in the recognition of self-growth. 

No comments: