Thursday, September 15, 2011

Who Is That?

Me.

Sort of.

But a different me:

before I wore the metal cup strapped round my head, pushing my chin back, correcting my underbite

before I started wearing glasses to improve my vision that still requires improvement

before a surgeon gouged out the flesh below my left knee to remove cancer blooming in a lifelong mole

before an emergency hysterectomy to stop suddenly spiking high fever

before arthroscopic surgery of the right temperomandibular joint and the lateral osteotomy of the maxilla to offset the 7-millimeter difference in size between the right and left mandible

before the discectomy between L1 and L2 to remove the exploded bit of disc my doctor called the "mouse" clasping my left femoral nerve

before plantar fascia release surgery, relieving three years of searing foot pain

before the persons I saw in the mirror and see now emerged, transformed and transforming, from day to day, in a body this little girl could never imagine.

No comments: