Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Have I Mentioned the People?

Saturday, I spoke with two entomology students wading near the metal bridge.  I told them where to find the mating Autumn Meadowhawks, and they showed me their larvae.


Sunday a woman walking with a cane stopped twice to talk with me on the dam.  "I was going to mow my lawn this afternoon," she said, "but maybe I'll just look for dragonflies instead."  As she walked away, she added, "Thanks for making my afternoon so special."


Monday, Julie and I chatted.

Today, while I was watching the Meadowhawks slapping eggs into the water, a fisherman arrived, pulled out his rod and his popping bobber, and started talking.  "I've been fishin' here since I was a boy.  I get plenty of bass here, but I always throw 'em back.  In the spring, it's bluegills.  They make good eatin'."


I asked, "Have you ever caught a snapping turtle on your line?"

"Oh yes, and they make good eatin', too.  Some snappers in here are prob'ly 50 years old," he said.

Lake Cheston isn't just about bugs and blooms.

It's people, too.

Those I know and those I meet for a conversation.

And I love them all.

No comments: