Friday, October 26, 2012

The Least of These

In less than an hour late this afternoon, the temperature fell at least fifteen degrees.  One season is ending, and a new one is rushing in on the wind and fog.  I will be sorry when the first freezing frost has descended, as I suspect I will have seen the last of odonata until the next shift between seasons.

The two single female Fragile Forktails I found at the lake just before the temperature plummeted warmed themselves in today's last sun.  They will nestle in grass tonight, finding what warmth they can.  Whether they emerge again tomorrow remains to be seen.


How many more days will the few leaves cling to branches and the few dragonflies and damselflies shimmer?  How many more happy moments will I have at the lake hunting the least of these?

No comments: