Monday, August 4, 2014

Five Good Things about My Nature Walk with My Young Friend Jonathan

1.
A giant exuvia (like a shed skin) of some dragonfly, a darner perhaps. Held to the light, the shell's translucence shimmers like gold-leaf over opal.


2. 
A patient Carolina Saddlebags, old and torn, let us snap, snap, snap, while he perched, darted off, circled, and perched again. When it was Jonathan's turn to approach, he showed me a new trick: distract the Odonate by shaking one hand held out to the side. Then, he said, you can get a good picture. He approached, he shook, and the dragonfly flew off.


I'm going to try that trick anyway.

3.
In the woods, he scooped up and pulled several mushrooms, one of which bled milk and oxydized pink: it's a Milky Mushroom, and it's beautiful.


4.
At the pond, I pointed out a Southern Sprite, pleased that I could introduce Jonathan to a new species.


5.
Jonathan's company. It's a good thing.

No comments: