Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Colorful Cousins

Day before yesterday, a raspberry-colored caterpillar raced from flower to stem to leaf to grass, disappearing as though into a subway station at the base of tall grasses. a Facebook BugGuide friend suggested owlet moth -- Acronicta, Caterpillar 43.


Today, perhaps fifteen feet away, I saw something flutter below me and watched, determined to discover its identity. A tiny moth, which folded its wings like a roof over itself, tucked its head and antennae, and balanced lightly atop a blossom. Another Facebook BugGuide friend IDed this moth as Schinia arcigera, or Arcigera Fower Moth, another owlet typically seen only at night.


It isn't that I'm lucky, though sometimes I feel lucky to spot such wonders. It's that I go to look and then to learn.

Anything's possible with an inquisitive mind.

No comments: