Thursday, October 30, 2014

Sometimes an Undergraduate Can Surprise Me

Leaning out over the top of the stone stairs at Morgan's Steep, I photographed the skeleton of a Queen Anne's lace cup, stepping slightly to my right to let a young man come up. He must have been bouldering, I thought.

I took another picture and heard a second fellow ask, "Would you like to go to the Milky Way?"

"Nah, thanks anyway!" the first answered and biked off.

When the questioner approached, I said, "I thought you said, 'Would you like to go to the Milky Way!'"

"No," he said and held out his hand, "would you like a Milky Way?"

I laughed.

"It's Halloween!" he added.

I accepted with pleasure.

He patted my shoulder, made eye contact, and said, "It's a great day to believe alive!" Then he trotted down the steps.


Yes, it is. A great day.

No comments: