Thursday, May 28, 2015

Chance Encounter

Dentist. 

Dump. 

Shell station. 

The Pig. 

Fred's. 

The bank. 

Home.

Even before getting out of the car, I saw it -- the Gray Petaltail flying from my neighbor's yard to my largest black walnut tree. A quick run into the house, bags and all, for the camera. (For once, I didn't have it, a regrettable decision.)

The sun was finally out. And happily, it was afternoon, when sun streams into my west-facing front yard.

Welcome, annual and ancient visitor (expert Dennis Paulson has written that the Petaltails "are often considered the most primitive living odonates"), I want to shout, but don't, and sneak, and sneak, and sneak, assume a position and hold it, and try -- again and again -- to snap the female, camouflaged on the trunk.

No comments: