Thursday, July 16, 2015

Generous Spirit

I rolled down my window and called, "Is this your pond?"

"No ma'am," he answered. "But I've got permission. The owner said I come any time."

"Reckon I can, too?"

"Why not?" he said.

He fished, and I looked for odonates. He caught four beautiful dinner-sized bass -- 1, 2, 3, 4, almost that quick! -- while I saw only the same bugs I had just seen at the Day Lake Road pond.


I started toward the weeds between me and the water, but my companion turned and said, "Better not do that. There's snakes in there."

I confessed that I often just plow my way to water, only later realizing that's a stupid thing to do.

"Yeah, you're lucky."

"You're lucky, too! Just look at those fish! Will you eat them for supper?

"Oh no. I fish for my 75-year-old friend. I can catch 'em whenever I want, but he can't. So I clean 'em up, take 'em to his door, and know he'll smile and thank me."

Sometimes it's just not about the bugs.

No comments: