Saturday, July 18, 2015

Night-time Visitor

In case my young neighbors needed me while their parents were out last night, I turned on my porch light. The girls didn't drop by, but lots of moths, beetles, and katydids did.

A large moth  (Anisota virginiensis or Southern Pink-lined Moth, I think, though no record [so far] has been reported for my county) stared straight at me when I decided to turn out the light. But then, how could I, without first making her acquaintance?



Who knows why she alit on my window. Even scientists are divided on the issue of moths' attraction to flame and artificial light. Some say artificial light "throw[s] off their internal navigation system"; others that the moon or a bright light "as a navigation beacon"; still others that light mimics the "frequencies . . . of sex pheromones." In truth, no one really knows why.

I prefer to think that this moth, this particular and particularly beautiful amber and lavender-rose female, merely wanted a congenial place to rest and found in me a kindred spirit.

No comments: