Sunday, January 22, 2017

Medical Heroism

NPR, PBS Newshour, and The New Yorker recently featured Atul Gawande discussing the importance of primary care physicians who offer what he calls "incremental care." He cites statistics that show while primary care physicians are among the most poorly remunerated and least well treated by insurers, their care has the most profound impact on improving the quality of and length of our lives.

I saw my PCP a few days before reading and viewing Gawande. In his comments I recognized my own doctor. I've lived in many places, and I've had many physicians, but none has been a better listener and adviser than he is. I am one of the lucky ones.

I only wish in this time of healthcare uncertainty that every other citizen could have the same access to this basic human right: quality, continuing care. We'd all be better for it.

No comments: