Thursday, March 9, 2017

Alternative Facts

According to an article published today in The Washington Post, one man has taken credit (again) for something another man did: "Arnett also discovered the quilters of Gee's Bend, Ala., leading to a blockbuster exhibition." (Mind you, the exhibition was his. The books mentioned in the article are his publications as well.) I saw a number of those quilts in the early 1970s [I think], packed into the trunk of my brother's car, headed to New York for display.

There are other such "facts" in the article, which I will not enumerate.

Suffice it to say that I greatly enjoyed seeing the pictures of art made by artists I have long respected, for example, Lonnie Holley, whom I have featured in this blog: here, here, here, here, here, here, here, and here.

These are two of my favorite Holley paintings that the featured individual did not acquire.

No comments: