Saturday, May 16, 2009

(Peter) Rabbit

Only in late spring do rabbits hop into my yard. This bunny frisked about my bird feeder, enjoying the seed spilled by the raccoon who had raided the larder the night before.

As I watched him chew and hop about, I thought of Beatrix Potter's delightful Peter Rabbit, which has entertained generations of children. Written in a letter for the child of her former
governess, the tale, published for the equivalent of 5 pence, has sold millions of copies in many different languages.

The simple tale of four little rabbits was inspired by her own pet rabbit. Like so many writers, Potter wrote from what she knew and loved. I imagine she would have enjoyed watching this rabbit in my yard, though she would have been able to draw him, while I managed only to sneak a photo through the deck rails.

He is inspiring, isn't he?

No comments: