Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Google Doodles

Yesterday, in celebration of the first landing on the moon, this image appeared on the main Google page.

Anyone who remembers that day also remembers the remarkable view of Earth enjoyed by the moon walkers, changing the way we humans view our fragile planet. I get chills still just thinking about seeing the images for the first time.

Since then, we have seen photographs of even greater miracles, including the birth of stars. Google Earth and other online mapping programs make even these revelations seem common.


Google publishes pictures like these on occasion and calls them Google Doodles. They're one reason why I love checking the search engine every day. Why not have a little fun and celebrate something worth remembering?

Among my favorite Doodles of 2009 are Eric Carle's first day of spring, Charles Darwin's birthday, and the moon landing.

To browse for your favorites, go to Google's Holiday Logos page.

1 comment:

melinda said...

i remember watching the moon landing sprawled on the floor here at my NC house watching a 12 inch black & white portable tv (my mother usually forbade tv here all summer & we had no tv so I brought one I had lugged to college)