Sunday, July 12, 2009

The Moth on the Screen Door

hangs upside down like a sleeping bat.
What attracts it to my kitchen screen door in mid-day? Why attach itself for much of the afternoon? Is it resting in shade? Waiting for something? What?

When I hunker down on the floor -- a tide box under my elbows to steady my camera -- and adjust the camera inches from its head, does the moth watch me as I watch it?

Does the moth see me with its enormous eyes? What is the me it sees? Many persons at once? Me many times? Me not all? Are the eyes even open? Are they focused?For the moth, what is "me"?

For me, what is the moth?

A beautiful insect, a living thing with barbs and fur, a miracle of flight and stillness at mid-day.

Moth Photographers Group
Moth Eyes
Butterflies and Moths of North America
The Butterfly Website

No comments: