Saturday, June 5, 2010

The Joy of Naming That Bug!

A gloriously hot afternoon and one hour on the deck brought delicious pleasure in the company of another of the little fellows I have been sighting everywhere.This time, Christmas came early: with his electric green and yellow exoskeleton and black-and-white spat-striped antennae, this small grasshopperish member of the Orthoptera family (think grasshopper) luxuriated in a bed of crimson dahlia and allowed me to snap away. Later, analyzing the photographs, I realized that I wasn't seeing a stilt bug. I saw the grasshopper signs (ornamental armor, jaw, stilty legs, and "mouth" parts) and emailed my friend Jill."Look at Orthoptera," she said. "Check out katydid nymphs." Lo and behold, bingo, eureka, let the bells jingle!
It's a Scudder's Bush Katydid nymph, all right, and they're all over the place! I can't wait to hear them sing!

No comments: