Friday, July 30, 2010

Ginormous Moth

Last weekend, my friend Tam called to tell me she had seen a "ginormous moth." She invited me to come see for myself a few nights later.

She set out two chairs facing her four o'clocks, where the ginormous moth had appeared two nights running. She offered wine or beer and insect repellent. She even invited the folks who had just treated her to dinner. We four gathered in growing dark and waited for the sound of whirring wings.

Sure enough, just as light fell, the moth buzzed in and dove at the clump of flowers, not once but twice. And then? Silence. We probably scared it off with our enthusiastic photo snapping. My one photo shows a whir of brown, but Tam got one terrific, clear shot, which she will download some day.Today, she invited me to see two caterpillars that will become ginormous moths. When we found the photo in my insect book, we learned the ginormous moth's name: Tobacco Hornworm Moth.Yesterday, I saw another ginormous moth in the Community Gardens in daylight. Desperately flying to get through two sets of chicken wire, it promptly disappeared into the grape arbor and beyond. And tonight Tam emailed that two other friends have seen a ginormous moth in their garden.

Now if just one of them would stop off long enough to be seen, I'd be happy to make its acquaintance!

No comments: