Friday, July 2, 2010

You Better Not Fool with a Bumblebee

I should know.

I once opened a door, dislodged a bumblebee nest, and fought off thumb-sized bees with my hands and a broom till I got the door shut.
Today's bees, busy with flower, buzzed and brushed by me like accomplices or friends enjoying the sun and breeze of summer.


The Bumblebee by James Whitcomb Riley

You better not fool with a Bumblebee! --

Ef you don't think they can sting -- you'll see!
They're lazy to look at, an' kind o' go

Buzzin' an' bummin' aroun' so slow.

An' ac' so slouchy an' all fagged out,

Danglin' their legs as they drone about

The hollyhawks 'at they can't climb in

'Ithout ist a-tumble-un out ag'in!
Wunst I watched one climb clean 'way

In a jimson-blossom, I did, one day, --

An' I ist grabbed it -- an' nen let go --
An' "Ooh-ooh! Honey! I told yer so!"
Says The Raggedy Man; an' he ist run
An' pullt out the stinger, an' don't laugh none,

An' says: "They
has be'n folks, I guess, "
At thought I wuz predjudust, more er less, --

Yit I still muntain 'at a Bumblebee

Wears out his welcome too quick fer me!"

No comments: