Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Betsy's Unexpected Gift

My friend Betsy, who died this summer, left me an unexpected gift by way of a small check.

For months, I considered what she might want me to do with it. Buy a new vacuum cleaner? Too pedestrian. Use part of it for my cataract surgery? Too practical. Just keep it in my checking account? Too wishy-washy.

While Betsy was at home with hospice, I sent her a card every day, with one of my photographs and a small prose poem. Soon after she died, I borrowed a friend's camera with a powerful telephoto and found myself wishing that I could send Betsy some of my zoom pictures.

Not long ago, I thought about that camera and about Betsy's gift. That's it! I realized. A new camera! That would be something Betsy would find just right. Something I would not buy for myself and something that would give me and others pleasure.

Then the hunt for the right camera began, with plenty of research and reading and with helpful advice from a friend with a photography degree. Today, the end result of all that thinking arrived: a Canon G12.

As the photos I snapped from my couch of the wall across the room show, I am going to have a fine time with the flying bugs of summer. More importantly, every time I use the camera, I shall think of Betsy, whose kindness extended to me even beyond her life.

No comments: