Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Sea Sky Evening

In Byrd Baylor's illustrated book I'm in Charge of Celebrations, a Native American girl celebrates the desert landscape. She says,

Friend, I'll tell you
how it works.

I keep a notebook
and I write the date
and then I write about
the celebration.

I'm very choosy
over
what goes in
that book.

It has to be something
I plan to remember
for the rest of my life.

You can tell
what's worth
a celebration
because
your heart will
POUND
and
you'll feel
like you're standing
on top of a mountain
and you'll
catch your breath
like you were
breathing
some new kind of air.


As for me, on January 7

I celebrate Sea Sky Evening,
blown in on a big wind
and out with a snow tail.
The sky roiled
an aqua/ultra/marine sea
with a seductive undertow.


Oh see
the Chapel lights:
floating phosphorescence.

No comments: