Saturday, March 10, 2012

Neither Dilletante nor Connosseur

My mother always encouraged me to add "strings to my bow," so I did: academics, music, acting, teaching, writing, photography.  A full curriculum vitae runs to pages of this-and-that.

I think I am the "Jack of all trades, master of none" that she advised me to become.  If she were alive, she might be pleased. 

Or worried, since despite the terminal degree, I continue to add strings.

Like photography (for the second time around in my life).  I need time for myself outside every day, with beautiful things (maybe not to you, but to me, yes) and my camera.  The more I shoot, the more I learn, and the more I learn, the more I want to shoot, and the more . . . .  And I'm not even going to write about my obsession with reading about what I shoot.

So here's the thing: I'm a dilletante -- a dedicated amateur.  And yet that's a pejorative term referring to a person who dabbles without developing expertise.  I reject that connotation since I delight and develop skill.

But I'm no connoisseur either -- of photography (or my own camera even) or the flora and fauna I snap.  I have some knowledge, but not the kind I demonstrated in three-and-a-half days of written comps for my doctorate.

So what am I?


Female Fragile Forktail


Male Fragile Forktail

A mama's girl.  And that makes me happy.

No comments: