Sunday, August 19, 2012

A Note of Thanks

Dear Lydia,

I imagine that your recovery means a few days away from your garden, so I thought I'd bring you up-to-date.

This afternoon, your passion flowers, heaped high, bloomed mightily.  Bees buzzed and one napped like an odalisque in a fantastical painting by Dali.  Birds chirped and flitted into and out of your sunflowers.  A sulphur butterfly hung for a moment from the lip of a coneflower before winging on.  Skippers piled on Mary's zinnias, and Gulf Fritillaries swung from bloom to bloom to bloom.  So many, I had only to turn a bit here or there and snap snap snap their magnificent orange upper-wings.

I thought of last year's caterpillar, curled like a comma in a leaf, and smiled.  You grow things well, Lydia.  And I hope you know your green thumb makes me happy.

Be well,

Robley

2 comments:

Connie said...

Robley, I find your post touching and have a few tears behind my smile. I love your pictures of Lydia's garden. I love all pictures of Lydia's garden. I also love Lydia. She inherited her green thumb from my mother, her grandmother.

Connie Boroughs

Anonymous said...

You are such a good friend. How lovely! I wish that orange butterfly were sitting on my finger. Thank you for bringing it as close to me as you have.