Thursday, August 23, 2012

The Garden Thief

I confess: I steal from others' gardens.

I don't take vegetables and fruit, though I am tempted.  I don't cut flowers, though I would like to.  I don't even snip a few herbs, though I imagine a tasty dinner.

I steal silence, insects, petal, leaf, light.  I take the buzz of color and a few snaps on a memory card.

Today, I robbed J's garden, letting myself in the side gate.  (Oh, I tried to open her door first and call, but found it locked.  Since she has no doorbell, I sneaked round back.)  Frogs plopped into her pond before I saw them and led me to the Cardinal Flower fallen across the water, wearing afternoon like a Liberty of London floral print.

All was lost.

Temptation reared its head, and I confess I surrendered.


Forgive me, please.

No comments: