Thursday, July 11, 2013

Hanging On

I know practically nothing about baseball, but I know a little something about dragonflies. Thus, when I saw this video, I watched and listened.


The guys calling the game know baseball, but they sure don't know Odonates. Among their cringe-worthy comments were these:
  1. "That dragonfly is still on the hat. Gotta hold onto something, right? It's unbelievable!" Well, no, there's nothing unbelievable in the strength of a dragonfly, who can hold on to something in fierce wind and rain. I know that because I've seen it. These creatures are among the oldest on the Earth. Let's give them some credit.
  2. "Here's the real question. Could it actually be caught in his hat and he can't get free?" Seriously? Give me a break! His hooked legs are firmly hooked and the dragonfly is totally relaxed. Just look at his wings! NO struggle there, fellas!
  3. "Now we may have to worry about the safety of this dragonfly." Why? Because he's taking a rest on a pitcher's cap? Tough situation. Yeah, right.
  4. "I think it's stuck, the way the wings are flapping. It can't go anywhere. There's no way it could be that strong that it could hang on." Say w-h-a-t? The pitcher is barely moving. What extreme force does the announcer think that dragonfly is combating?
  5. "I know you do yoga. There's no way that dragonfly's core is that good with the balance." OK, now you've totally lost it. What the heck are you talking about? The dragonfly is the king of the insect. Let's see: they've been around for 250+ million years and he thinks this little Halloween Pennant doesn't have a strong core. Yeah, right.
Balance? Strength? These videos are far more impressive as well as accurate. Enjoy!

David Attenborough on the dragonfly.


No comments: