Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Surprise Redux

Inside the package, I found two old hand-painted panels and this note from a first-cousin:

"Your mother painted these wooden panels a way long time ago as part of a pretty little settee Grandmother had. When it was time to dismantle Grandmother's house, Mother found the settee to be falling apart (it had pretty little green vines w/ red flowers climbing all over it), but she salvaged the back panels. I enjoyed using them for a long time! But they should be yours if you can use them, and I hope you will. I love your Mama's neat work, and it reminds me of those Delft tiles she painted for Memory Lane. I love to do things like that myself, although I don't suppose I'll ever be as good as she was, and I regret that I never got the chance to learn from her -- that would have been a happy privilege."

This is a surprise of a whole other universe.




No comments: