Tuesday, August 13, 2013

A Note of Thanks

Dear Tam,

Thank you for driving me to Chattanooga for oral surgery today. And thank you for coming to get me twice. I am amused that we are both somewhat limited when it comes to changing time zones, but we finally got it right.

Yours is good company. You always have thoughtful things to say, and we have much in common, especially our love of place, family, and ideas, and it was oddly comforting to share our mutual anxieties about our futures. You made the journey as enjoyable as it could be, given the circumstances.

While I know the fast-food folks must have been painfully slow and inept, the chocolate milk shake after surgery really did the trick.

As we left the pharmacy, which we both love, I said, "I'm glad there won't be sun today. I will miss buggin'" (as you call my peculiar hobby).

I want you to know that when I climbed the steps to my front door, I saw a brand new Hackberry Emperor resting on one of the few clematis leaves the deer didn't eat yesterday afternoon. I went in the house, put everything down, grabbed my camera, and stealthily came back out. There he or she still was, as if knowing the one more good thing I needed today was a photo.

You have both brought me the kind of luck I needed today.

Fondly,
Robley

PS Isn't the butterfly beautiful?


No comments: