Sunday, August 11, 2013

What I Did Today

I worked. I walked. I worked. I walked. I worked.

And I did this: I saw a female damselfly light twice on the edge of the dock at Lake Finney during my first walk; I took several pictures, but they're fuzzy because of clouds and my inability to get closer without scaring her; on my second walk I returned to the lake, determined to confirm my guess that she was a green form Orange Bluet; I saw a male, took two shots, and watched him disappear; after about three minutes I saw him and a female (green form!) spar; he alit on one leaf and she on another; just as I bent down to shoot her photo, he tried to fly to her but got caught in a spider web; I ran with terror back to the main part of the dock, grabbed my walking stick, ran back, scared the spider, and lifted the male Orange Bluet back to the dock; he was dazed and I snapped two photos; then I offered my finger and he grabbed hold; for one photograph he gathered himself, then broke the spider silk, and flew off; about four minutes later, I saw the green form female and the rescued male couple; then I watched as he and she flew to several different places where she oviposited.

I had a good day.

No comments: