Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Blowing Out the Candles

My great-niece E turned 10 today, the first of her double-digits.

My gift arrived yesterday and sat, unopened, tempting her. She knew what pleasures awaited her. I have been the giver of the Harry Potter books, except for the one her parents put in her trunk before camp this summer.

For E and for me, there will be no more Harry Potters: I gave her my own original Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, which I purchased the night it was released at a bookstore party in Portland, Oregon. I blogged about the book and last visit with my friend Betsy previously


This morning, E awoke at 5:30am, grabbed the box, opened it, and starting reading. By the time her mother came downstairs, she had read the first 30 pages. I know she read them with enthusiasm, in a gulp, just as I did after midnight those years ago.

When she makes her birthday wish, I add this one: May you enjoy the companionship of books and of those who love them as much as you do throughout your double digit years.

No comments: