Sunday, June 14, 2015

And In the Category of Learning Something New Every Day . . .

AHA!

But first, the background.

On June 5, I photographed a female UBD (Unidentified Brown Damselfly). I searched my guidebooks, couldn't find anything like it to match county records, and posted photos on Facebook asking for advice. Expert Ed Lam wrote, "I think that ovipositor is big enough for a Sweetflag." W-h-a-t? What's a Sweetflag? Sure enough I found it in his book, and I even found it in Tennessee, but not in my county.



So. I added another species to my tally.

On June 13, I photographed another UBD, this time a male, and thought (smugly) perhaps this is a Sweetflag. Again, I posted photos and asked for advice. First Marion Dobbs offered, "I hope Ed Lam or Dennis Paulson will speak up on this one. Hard to see the paraprocts well, but they don't seen slender enough for Swamp. Not sure about wing to body proportions either. The thing that immediately captures my attention is the dark spot, or spots, on the lower thorax. Maybe Spotted Spreadwing, though, again, paraprocts are suspect. I think Sweetflag and maybe Southern can have a single spot. Lam also mentions pale rear of head for Spotted and often for Sweetflag. And then there's pattern of pruinosity! May not be helpful at this age. Devil is in the details. I'll be anxious to hear a definitive ruling." Then Dennis Paulson wrote, "To me it looks perfect for an immature male Spotted Spreadwing. Paraprocts are shorter than in the others that were mentioned, quite large ventral thoracic spots, very fine antehumeral stripe, jagged lower edge to the broad antehumeral stripe." Ed Lam "liked" this post, so I think the experts have weighed in. To which I thought, W-h-a-t? I found Spotted in Ed's book and I found it in Tennessee, but not my county.


Now back to the AHA! I realize I have been going about this wrong. I have unnecessarily limited my ID research to this and surrounding counties. Now I see the error of my ways: my county first; surrounding counties second; state and north Georgia and Alabama third; then the books and everything in the genus.

Meanwhile, that makes three county records (including the Unicorn Clubtail) in 8 days, making 36 dragonfly species and 25 damselfly species I've identified on the Domain.

I am well pleased.

Another Tally of EmergenceCommon Green Darner
Fragile Forktail
Common Baskettail
Springtime Darner
Blue Corporal
Carolina Saddlebags
Lancet Clubtail
Common Whitetail
Azure Bluet
Southern Spreadwing
Calico Pennant
Comet Darner
Violet Dancer
Painted Skimmer
Black Saddlebags
Spangled Skimmer
Double-striped Bluet
Skimming Bluet
Orange Bluet
Citrine Forktail
Doubled-ringed Pennant
Eastern Pondhawk
Spangled Skimmer
Ebony Jewelwing
Stream Cruiser
Blue Dasher
Swamp Spreadwing
Amber-winged Spreadwing
Lilypad Forktail
Golden-winged Skimmer
Banded Pennant
Stream Bluet
Powdered Bluet
Slaty Skimmer
Prince Baskettail
Gray Petaltail
Southern Sprite
Widow Skimmer
Sweetflag Spreadwing
Unicorn Clubtail
Eastern Amberwing
Great Blue Skimmer
Spotted Spreadwing

No comments: