Monday, June 1, 2015

No Ordinary Trip to Lowe's

Why go the easy way? I thought, so I bypassed the exit for Lowe's, drove a few miles further, and stopped at the Marion County Park to see what's flying. No outstanding odes (Prince Baskettail, Black Saddlebags, two damselflies, and Eastern Amberwings). 

The main attraction arrived not by air, but by water: a Canada Goose parade, adults in front and rear and 17 young ones of many different ages between them. They moved like an adorable military formation from one shoreline to the one where I stood, paused for bathing, then skittered and swam off around down the shore. I assume the adults were designated babysitters for the goslings, who dutifully swam in a line between their protectors, so when I came home, I did a little research. Here's what the Cornell Lab of Ornithology has to say:

"Soon after they hatch, goslings begin pecking at small objects, and spend most of their time sleeping and feeding. They remain with their parents constantly, though sometimes 'gang broods' form, especially in more southern latitudes. These can include at least two broods, and sometimes five or more, that travel, feed, and loaf together, accompanied by at least one adult."

Honestly, I know that Canada Goose flocks can be obnoxious to home owners and others living along bodies of water, and I admit that I had to avoid quite a few of their little packages in the grass as I searched for odes, but . . . who can resist the charms of a "gang brood"?





No comments: