Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Yea, Sewanee's Right!

Before I met her, I noticed LB in the University Choir spring concert. Standing center on the risers, she sang out with such clarity and emotional commitment and joy. I listened to the beautiful music with two selves, one hearing and one experiencing the music with her as she sang it.

I was surprised and delighted when she joined the faculty where I taught, and even more so when she wanted a ride to and from school to Sewanee once a week to sing in the Community Chorale. We'd gossip, and chat, and stop for Frostees. Over the time I traveled and worked with her, I watched her grow as a teacher and a person.

She left and succeeded in a far more competitive school and market, but more importantly she found personal happiness. I remember several stumbles and challenges shared in our journeys, and I rejoice now in the professional life and family she has made.


No comments: