Sunday, November 30, 2008

Tales of a Sometime Fan

Football weaves in an out of the fabric of my life.

As a child, I loved throwing my football in a perfect spiral, a talent that made my football-playing brother jealous. Catch wasn't satisfaction enough, though, so I played with my cat, Le Chat (AKA "Baby"). She'd run up a spindly tree in the side yard not far from the sandbox, I'd toss the
football at a limb to shake her out, and she'd run up again. Over and over.

On occasion, my father took me to Legion Field to see Alabama (his alma mater) play, and we'd listen to the Auburn-Alabama game every Thanksgiving weekend. I was raised to be a Tide fan and to think Auburn was some place for country rejects. (Only as an adult did I realize the error of my prejudiced ways.)

When my brother played football in high school, my mother would take me to his afternoon games. We'd stand on the sidelines (there were no bleachers at B.U.S.) and cheer. I mostly liked his cool football jacket (with, I think, the gold numbers 45 on a black field).

When my own nephew started to show interest in televised games as a little boy, I did, too. The family would sit together and cheer his favorite team, the Steelers. This Saturday, before leaving after a Thanksgiving visit, I enjoyed his family's preparations for the Iron Bowl game: they dressed for the big game, the girls practiced their cheers, and my niece-in-law made popcorn. Just before kickoff, I left for home, tuning in the first quarter as I drove through fog and rain through north Alabama.Roll, Tide, roll. And they did, trouncing Auburn, a feat I didn't discover till this morning.

1 comment:

llmaumus said...

beautiful family! glad you had a good time.