Thursday, January 8, 2009

Dogs Again

Jill's puppies have grown and are growing. Today, with a small group of chatting women gathered around the table, Rocky and Liza played and bared teeth and growled and chewed an old clog and slept.
I could be a dog person and here's another reason why.

"Golden Retrievals"

Fetch? Balls and sticks capture my attention
seconds at a time. Catch? I don't think so.
Bunny, tumbling leaf, a squirrel who's -- oh
joy -- actually scared. Sniff the wind, then

I'm off again: muck, pond, ditch, residue
of any thrillingly dead thing. And you?
Either you're sunk in the past, half our walk,
thinking of what you can never bring back,

or else you're off in some fog concerning
-- tomorrow, is that what you call it? My work:
to unsnare time's warp (and woof!), retrieving,
my haze-headed friend, you. This shining bark,

a Zen master's bronzy gong, calls you here,
entirely, now: bow-wow, bow-wow, bow-wow.


by Mark Doty

No comments: