Friday, April 8, 2011

Do Grasshoppers Swim?

Apparently not. At least this stomach-churning article from the New York Times says not.

But.


I saw one particular tiny bright green grasshopper leap into the lake this afternoon and do what I could have sworn was the dog-paddle (or hopper stroke). S/he floated awhile as I slid down the bank to anchor myself on several large chunks of stone. Then, h/she flew in one leap to the base of a grass stem and wrapped around it, legs and antennae sticking every which way.

S/he stretched long legs on occasion, pushed the face around the stem, tilted it, stared in my direction, slowly wound round to the other side and posed, most prettily.

As I crept further down with my macro in hand, s/he disappeared. Just like that.

Just like the flowers already giving way to leaf.

No comments: