Monday, April 4, 2011

A Little Fear and a Little Regret

Last year, I stooped to photograph several enticing mushrooms. Tempted to readjust one for a better angle, I reached for it, but something bit me, and I decided to leap out of the leaf pile. A few days later, I walked with a friend by the same mushroom and mentioned its enticing beauty. She warned, "It's poisonous. Don't even think about touching it!" Yesterday, another friend and I encountered three impressive mushrooms. As we hunkered down, in turns, to photograph them, we chatted about what they might be. Neither of us was inclined to pick them -- out of fear--, though when we got home, I discovered from other friends that they are morels, a highly sought-after delicacy.
A false morel above, making it questionable to eat; half free morels below, edible.
Ignorance, it turns out, is definitely not always bliss.

No comments: