Sunday, July 8, 2012

Different Points of View

Last night after Melancholia ended, Boo said, "Why didn't anybody help her?"


At 90, my friend Boo is still what I'd call a literal "reader," in this case of movies.  She brings her lifteime of experience as a social worker to every Saturday night Netflix.  She never surrenders to the world of the fiction, but always assumes that the director or writer failed when characters are troubled and not "helped."

It's an odd thing to watch a movie with Boo because we come at the imaginative experience from totally different points of view.  Were I still teaching literature, I'd find her a frustrating student because she can never suspend her disbelief. 

Boo added, "I know.  You don't have to answer that.  What did you think?"

"I thought the movie was a beautiful (though heavy-handed) exploration of the suffocation of sadness."

"You would think that," she said.  "Now get me some more ice cream, please."

About ice cream, at least, we agree: chocolate and lots of it.

No comments: