Sunday, July 1, 2012

Seven Things I Learned or Re-learned This Week

1.  Yellow jackets eat meat.  Witness the group feasting..  (I am thankful someone pointed the frog out to me before I squished it under my sneaker.)


2.  Unlike the Common Green Darners I have seen, the Comet Darner hangs just out of reach, maddeningly testing my balance and my camera.


3.  Ignorance is bliss.  Hornets working away at a tree, stripping it for a nest, seemed docile, so I leaned in.  I don't think I'll be doing that again.


4.  The Blue-winged Wasp is a voracious feeder, weighting the Queen Anne's Lace head like a heavy sleepyhead leaning into Grandma's lacy doily.


5.  Buried at the center of a lily, a common skipper becomes an uncommon Tiffany bauble.


6.  The female Eastern Pondhawk is as described in book after book: a merciless hunter.


7.  Walking with a new friend as OCD as I am about Odanata is a pleasant way to spend part of the day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great day! I did know about the yellow jackets as they have attacked my turkey sandwiches before :-)

Robley H said...

Of course! Picnics and yellowjackets! Somehow, I never put two-and-two together till someone told me what they were doing on that dead frog. :-)