Saturday, November 3, 2012

Packing a Wallop

The Fragile Forktail is an inch long at most.  The species is difficult to see, not just because of size, but because it's wary. 

Today's close encounter took me along the shore line from stone to stone, first in one direction and then the other, in pursuit of a mature female.  I watched her curve her abdomen into small plant stems, as if ovispositing (but I've never seen one do this solo before), and I watched her see me and dart just as I sneaked within camera range.

 

A while later, I ran into friends on the beach, who asked, "Will the eggs they lay now wait all winter to emerge?"  I think they might.  I think . . . but I can't say for sure because I keep reading comments like this: "Depending on the species, some larvae may stay in the water for up to a year for emergence."

The limits of my knowledge and of my camera are sometimes frustrating.  Fortunately, You Tube offers tasty bits like this to tide me over all the long winter ahead.



No comments: