Sunday, October 27, 2013

An Open Letter to Canon

Dear Canon,

I loved my G12 the moment I took it out of the box. Over the first eleven months, I learned to use it on my daily walks. I got to know the twin pleasures of photography and wandering with a camera, something I enjoyed in my twenties years ago.

Then the camera died

I sent it in under warranty for repair, and it came back more broken than it had been when I mailed it to you. I returned it, and when it came back, it worked  -- until it died. Permanently. By this time, of course, it was long out of warranty.

A friend and former student gifted me with her G12 in exchange for some of my photographs. Hers was truly "like new," still in its crisp box. I have loved this camera since May, taken it for daily walks, captured photographs of Odonates, and even discovered some new tricks.

Until this camera died too.



A quick Internet search just now turned up other G12 owners with exactly the same problems I have experienced for the last several days, none of which appear to have been solved either by themselves or by hocus-pocus or by you.

It's such a shame that you made a camera with the potential for greatness and that fell so far short. I don't think I'll be shopping your brand in the future.

Sincerely,
Disappointed (again) in Sewanee.

No comments: