Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Outside/Inside

Before going into Convocation Hall this afternoon, I stopped to snap the windows I love. A gentleman came out, stopped, and asked, "Are you getting the shot you want?"

"Not without a ladder," I said. "I'll never quite get what I want -- the image of outside and inside." 
After he asked my name -- twice (it is unusual after all), he introduced himself: "I'm Jerry Smith."

I am glad to put a face to the name of the gentleman whose work I know: a religion professor and Marshall of the College, he also writes about the university, even occasionally in a blog which I have been happy to read (http://www.smithclass.net/blog/). His book Sewanee Places offers fascinating insight, especially for an outsider like me.

"I need to get my gown," Professor Smith said and opened his trunk. I thanked him for the chat and entered the hall. There, an overflow crowd listened to a presentation about Sacred Harp singing and then sang together under the direction of Pastor Ricky Harcrow. He was surprised by the enthusiasm and skill shown by the crowd of freshmen in the FYP program, their professors, and local residents. I wasn't. Many are accustomed to singing in Episcopal services; others are accustomed to singing outside of church. 

During our Shape Note singing, insiders (professors, students, and trustees) and outsiders (the Sand Mountain guest and me) raised their voices as one, and I thought It's good to be on the inside, even if for only an hour.

No comments: