Thursday, October 31, 2013

Bugged by Bugs!

Two days ago, I sealed up my front door with four-and-a-half inch wide painter's tape.

Don't believe me?

Then look:
I haven't used this door since Tuesday just after the Invasion began.

The sun brought out the Asian lady beetles in such huge numbers that even the University made a public announcement about them on the community email system. At The Lemon Fair, they swarmed in such numbers, squeezing through every nook and cranny in the 1900 wooden building, that an exterminator sprayed just this morning. It took me three and a half hours to vacuum up the thousands of tiny beetles clumped around windows and doors.

I like bugs. But I don't like massed bugs that swarm, stink, and move in for the winter. They fly into the food, the toaster, the fridge, my ears, . . . well . . . you get the picture.

Lest you think they're alone, think again: we are also enjoying a banner year for assassin bugs and stink bugs. Take this little nymph -- a fourth instar of the Chinavia hilaris -- attached to the screen door on my deck. Beautiful, isn't he?


Don't be fooled: he's a stink bug!

No comments: