Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Holy Tamoly Cow!

Sun and Autumn Meadowhawks all over the lake -- warming, mating, ovipositing, resting, and landing on me.



Nothing new there, but this sure is.



Never before have I actually seen the part projected out of the male's pocket. (Hamules hold a female in place during copulation.) When I looked at my photos, I thought I knew what it is, but I posted this photo to my Southeastern Odes group on Facebook for confirmation. Within seconds, Giff Beaton, whose Dragonflies and Damselflies of Georgia and the Southeast is one of my holy books of odonata, replied, "That is a male and it's his hamule . . . "

How many ways can I thank my lucky stars?

     1. sunshine

     2. some good shots

     3. warm earth (good for lying down)

     4. Facebook

     5. and the humorous support of an admired expert.

No comments: