Sunday, September 7, 2008

Dewy Spider Silk

Standing on the deck to make a cellphone call, I glimpsed magic in a flower pot: dewy spider silk glinting in early morning sun. I didn't see the spider, but what the spider made and what the moisture and changing temperature last night made together created a work of art as lovely as any glass work I've ever seen. (Look carefully at the lower right of the picture below, and you can even see a bit of silk without dew.)

I was already thinking of my great-niece's fifth birthday (on September 11), which is being celebrated today at The Children's Dance Foundation. She and her friends are having a dress-up party this afternoon. The card invites party-goers to "see the wizard, follow the yellow brick road, and celebrate with us!" Unhappily, my homework and distance make it impossible for me to celebrate with her, but I feel as if I have already.

I've celebrated the joy of the spider and her silk. What could be more magical?

Happy birthday party, E! I love you!

No comments: