Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Sewanee Auto

The Thomases, who live in Lynchburg, own and operate Sewanee Auto, the best garage I have ever used. (And I mean ever.)

Harold is so honest, in fact, that a former boss fired him when he refused to do unnecessary work to a customer's car, even when that boss had demanded he do so.

Several years ago, my car developed a slow power steering fluid leak. Harold took the whole steering system apart and found a tiny crack. By the time the part arrived, my brother and a friend had convinced me to drive around with steering fluid to save money. When I went in to tell Harold what I had decided, he laughed and said he'd do the same thing. He sent the part back and never charged anything -- for his labor or his trouble.

This morning, I took my car in for an oil change and tire rotation and balance. When I picked it up after only an hour, Harold chided me, laughing, "Robley, you've driven that car 13,000 miles since your last oil change!" He remembers the 100,000 mile tune-up, my only tune-up since buying the car in 2000. At that time, he said, "I put the special 100,000-mile spark plugs in for you!"

I love the Thomases. They supply free candy, a weekly drawing for $20 worth of gas, reasonable prices, quality mechanics, good humor, and friendship. They are one reason why living in a small town is so good.

No comments: