Saturday, September 27, 2008

A Visit with Grace

Grace, a former McGehee student, joined me for lunch at Shenanigans, purchased several of my books from the gallery, and then spent most of the afternoon with me on my deck, enjoying tea and French coconut pie and honest conversation about then and now.

I remember her with pleasure, sitting at a table in my old room, 2SW. She remembers me for my boldness and said, "I always thought you liked me." I did, and I still do.

One gift is that Grace is a reader, especially of memoir. She said, "You may be surprised to learn that something stuck. You showed me the love of reading, beginning with An American Childhood." I was surprised because she was not a committed student -- then. We compared favorite books (we both love A Tree Grows in Brooklyn), and she eagerly wrote down titles of books I pulled off my shelves. I even invited her to join Shelfari.

By the time Grace's mother arrived to drive her back to Murfreesboro where her mother now lives, we had enjoyed such a lovely afternoon that I longed for more good conversation.


We're both works-in-progress with triumphant arcs in our life stories, and
Grace was the grace I have been needing lately. I thank her for her visit and friendship.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you, those kind words mean more to me than you know.

Robley H said...

Likewise.